Sunday 17 May 2015

Review: Ask Again Later


I always give a pat on my back when I finish a book in a few hours. Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas is one such book, it hardly took me 12 hours or less. I think I found this book on my recommendations list on GoodReads. Never heard of the author before and she’s done a good job for a debut novel. It was a very fun, easy read. I’m liking contemporary YA lately.
The book revolves around Heart LaCoeur, a girl who is determined to get her name changed once she hits 18. Oh and she has a no-dating policy. The entire story happens on a prom night. Heart is asked out to prom by two guys, both of whom she is unable to reject because of their current circumstances. One of them is Troy, her brother Phil’s friend, who got ditched by his girlfriend so Phil gave his word that Heart would be Troy’s date. The other is her French classmate Ryan who is gay and is in the closet so he needs a date to prom. Heart already has plans to go out as a group with her No Drama Prom-a crew aka all her close friends which includes Schroeder – Chase Schaefer. Heart flips a coin to find out who she should go with since she can’t decide it by herself. Heads – Troy; Tails – Ryan. So the story branches into two paths. Head – if she went with Troy; Tail – if she went with Ryan. So we don’t know if it was head or tails(at least I didn’t) but we get to read both stories. Both the plots take us to Heart finding out that Chase likes her and realises she likes him back and breaks her no-dating policy. So that’s all the book is about.
Heart is not an annoying character which is a big relief. She’s just a normal teenage girl and the high school plot though has a lot of cliches and drama is funny and bearable. I think i’m being too hard on my review now but I enjoyed reading it. So you can give it a go even if you are allergic to YA/high school dramas/contemporary. I did like the chapter names. I felt one of the Head/Tails chapter got swapped since after a point, there’s only Ryan in both the plots but I didn’t feel the need to go back and check for myself.
Rating: ✮✮✮1/2

PS: I messed up the font for this post since I copy pasted this from WP and it bothers me so much but I'm just going to leave it anyways.

-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment